Commercial Livestock Production
VCE Loudoun supports Loudoun County's livestock industries by using scientific research to promote best practices. Programs enhance agricultural production and protect the quality of our land and water resources. We offer:
- Technical Advice and Trainings on Livestock Production & Care, including Horses, Cattle, Small Ruminants (sheep, goat, alpaca), Swine, & Poultry
- Pasture Management, including Soil Testing and Toxic Weeds
- Business Operations, including Livestock Marketing, Farm Tax Management, Financial Planning and Analysis
Reach out to Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension Agent Jim Hilleary to learn more about VCE Loudoun's commercial agriculture trainings & offerings.
VCE Loudoun supports Loudoun County's horticulture industries by using scientific research to promote best practices. Programs enhance agricultural production and protect the quality of our land and water resources. We offer:
- Technical Advice and Trainings on Horticultural Crops, including Food Crops, Fruits, Vegetables, Ornamentals
- Safe Pesticide Use, including Commercial Pesticide Safety Training & Recertification
- Trainings, including Worker Protection Standard and Safety Training, Commercial Pesticide Training
- Testing, including Soil Testing, Water Testing
Reach out to Commercial Horticulturalist Beth Sastre to learn more about VCE Loudoun's Commercial Horticultural Trainings & Offerings.
Virginia Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners are trained volunteer educators who encourage environmentally sound horticulture practices through sustainable landscape management education and training. We offer:
- Advice on Home Gardening: Community Plants, Pests, & Soil
- Demonstration Garden and Public Education
- School Garden Program
- Horticulture Basics & Kids Gardening
- VA Healthy Lawns - Urban Nutrient Management Training and Monitoring
- Pond, Stream, & Site Erosion Assessments
- My Backyard Program
- Master Gardener's Speakers Bureau
Food & Water Safety
The family and consumer science agent serving Loudoun County covers programmatic areas primarily addressing food & water safety including:
- On farm food safety
- Greenhouse production food safety
- Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) training
- ServSafe for food establishments
- Farmer’s market food safety training
- Home food preservation
- New food product development
- Food safety regulation compliance
- Water Testing (wells, springs, & cisterns)
Loudoun County 4-H
Through Loudoun County 4-H programming, youth between the ages of 5 and 18 have fun developing life skills and growing as leaders. Loudoun 4-H supports youth as they realize their full potential - becoming effective, contributing citizens through participation in research-based, informal, hands-on educational experiences.
4-H Programs in Loudoun County
- 4-H Clubs: Consider joining one of our 15+ clubs! Animals, Innovation, Sewing, and more! Find a club that interests you, and get involved.
- Loudoun-Fauquier Junior 4-H Camp: Youth ages 9-13 can stay at NOVA’s 4-H Center for a week of fun activities. Learn more and register here.
- LCPS Partnerships, including the embryology program.
Virginia Cooperative Extension specialists in Community Viability work with Extension agents, campus-based faculty, organizational partners, communities, and individuals to further opportunity and build capacity in five program areas:
- Leadership & Planning
- Community Enterprise and Resiliency
- Community Food System and Enterprises
- Community Planning
- Emerging Community Issues
Examples of our work include training county elected officials, educating entrepreneurs, facilitating collaborative projects, supporting the growth of community food systems and local economies, enhancing agent skills and community capacity in facilitation and leadership, conducting problem-driven research, and creating publications and tools that address critical community needs.